Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Writing novels is haaaard!!

I'm such a whiner today. I've been reading Neil Gaiman's blog recently, and he's working on finishing his latest novel. I believe it was due to his publisher a few days ago ;). I can't decide if I feel better or worse reading his thoughts about the hard work of writing a novel. I think I feel better, because, when the time comes to sit down at your desk and get the words onto the page, his experience and mine aren't all that different. The only thing that's different for me is that I have a baby that's due to wake up from his nap anytime now, and when he does I have to stop working and tend to him, which can be frustrating when you're really rolling.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Yes! Writing is hard with any distraction. Writing for my dissertation takes a certain amount of time getting into it, to try to capture that feeling of "flow".

I've always carried around a notebook of notes and things that catch my attention -- and I find that sometimes I make a connection between two ideas in that wispy space between being fully asleep and being fully awake. So, I try to write that down before I forget the thought. It also happens sometimes in a boring meeting at work -- my mind is wandering and I start thinking about my dissertation topic, and sometimes a get something useful from that daydreaming.

Now that it's football season, Anne is occupied on Sundays. And Michelle is working the graveyard shift, leaving Thursday afternoon and coming home on Sunday mornings (promptly going to sleep). Her graveyard shift and the distance to the substation means she has been living there during her work "week". So I'm getting some quality quiet time for reading and writing on the weekends.