Tuesday, October 09, 2007

How I came to study myth

Growing up, I loved reading fairy tales and myths. I always loved stories, and read obsessively since I was three years old. Books helped me get through my parents divorce at age 5. When I got to college, I majored in English and writing.
After I graduated, I wanted to go on for more schooling, yet I was having a hard time deciding what to study. Literature appealed, of course, and comparative lit, but it wasn't the only thing I was interested in. I also considered anthropology or archaeology, and I was also doing a lot of reading on religion, after I left the evangelical church of my childhood behind at age 25.
In the late nineties, I discovered this new web site called amazon.com. Surfing around Amazon was always a wonderful adventure, and, given my interests, I eventually found books by an author called Joseph Campbell. I found a series of his called "The Masks of God", and I eventually ordered the books. It took me a year to read all four, but once I was done I knew what I wanted to do with my life.

No comments: