Thursday, November 01, 2007

Today, its a special shame that my writing sucks


As you may be able to tell by the title of this blog post, not feeling so great about myself or my writing today. Got quite a bit of writing done today, as it's the first day of National Novel Writing Month. I changed my mind back, and I'm again working on The Mythologist. The work may not be much good this month, but at least whatever is good can be applied toward the cause.

The thing thats got me banging my head against my desk today is this. About a month ago, I met a writer who's one of the shining stars of the Mythic Fiction movement. He was doing a reading in my area. Through an odd sequence of events, he offered to read and give advice on where I might submit a story that I've written called "Anya and the Bear". So, off I sent it, full of hope, and I never heard back from the guy. So, fine. I'm sure he's busy, and if he didn't like it it's easier just to never answer than to tell me so. However, today I found out that Terri Windling's next anthology of mythic fiction stories is on the subject of animal transformation. If my story had been any good, this writer (who is good friends with Ms. Windling) could conceivably have sent it to her for possible inclusion in her anthology. "Anya" is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, set in the shamanic tradition of the Inuit tribe of Alaska. Clearly not going to happen anywhere other than my imagination. So, feeling a bit hopeless today. Not a great start for a month in which I'm supposed to produce 50k words.

No comments: