Saturday, November 03, 2007

Fate of the Seattle Round Table

The writing has been going better recently. I'm enjoying participating in NaNoWriMo so far.

I sent out my monthly newsletter to the members of the Seattle RoundTable a couple of days ago. In it, I asked people to switch over to the group on meetup.com, to make it easier for me to manage the group. I got quite a few emails of complaint, enough that I'm wondering if I should just shut down the RT altogether. I spend a fair amount of time each month preparing for the RT meetings, and I'm not sure if I should continue if the group doesn't like my leadership, or whatever. Maybe I should just step down.

Wow, I realize that I've been doing a lot of bitchin' on this blog over the last couple of days. I'll try to perk up. :)

3 comments:

Chris said...

When I've organized gatherings, I've noticed that there are always some who complain, not to contribute to a "solution" or suggest something positive and different, just to complain. I think it takes a lot less energy for people to complain than to contribute constructively.

You have to question the complainers' commitment to the Round Table if all you are trying to do is make it easier for you to schedule and get the word out. How much energy does it take to go over to Meetup.com and register? Very little, actually, as I've done it.

Artemis said...

I agree with Chris on the negative energy people tend to spout out without thinking much about it... (the internet makes this very easy to do in the most impersonal way). Having dealt with announcement and discussion email lists for a while, sometimes about incredibly controversial subjects, I've learned to just not take that energy in unfiltered, because it does kill motivation to do anything at all. If it's constructive, okay, filter the whining and accept the useful feedback....but try not to take all the negativity too personally, because the mediated connection of the Net creates the impersonal atmosphere. (Easier said than done, I know! :-)

Joining meetup is extremely easy, and they don't spam you like Yahoo! Groups does, for example. As you point out, you're the one spending the energy to organize this, so it should be easy for YOU to do, too.

Allison said...

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement. I know that you're right. I think the folks who were complaining are people that I won't miss if they leave the RT anyway. ;)