Monday, March 17, 2008

Done with the Drama

Lots going on last week. I had my final class of French 1, French 2 starts the first Wednesday of April. 3 weeks to review the material from French 1, make sure I've got it all down solid.

Thursday night of last week was the monthly round table meeting, and it was a great one! Rich showed up (he's in town consulting for the World Health Organization, although why the WHO needs the services of a mythologist was never clear to me). We also had a Nigerian couple joining us. The guy really knew his Campbell-it was a joy to have him there. Unfortunately, he's just in town visiting his girlfriend, and he goes back to Nigeria before the next meeting. We encouraged him to start a Nigerian Round Table-I hope he does it. When those meetings work well they are so much fun, and the discussion can really get interesting. :) Then I remember why I do this, and I'm so glad that I do.

On Friday, I had my first meeting with my new trainer at Columbia Athletic Club. I'm so excited to be working with her-I really think having a trainer is going to make such a huge difference for me. She wants me working out a lot-30-60 minutes of cardio every day, a weight circuit every other day, ab work every day. Whew! But, this is how to get it done. Alex did ok in the day care-I was a little worried about that. They say he cried a little, but was ok after being comforted.

My big news for the weekend is that I finally did something I've been thinking about and needing to do for a while-I emailed my dad and told him that I needed some time off from our relationship, about 6 months or so. This was a big step for me. I realized recently that I've allowed myself to get caught up in the drama of this business with the lots, but that I don't have to. I DON'T HAVE TO (sorry for the shouting ;). It's like I've been with Ron in a drama-free relationship long enough now to realize how dysfunctional all this emotional garbage that I get into with my family sometimes is. My brother Chris came by for a visit yesterday, and we talked things over. He told me that Dad feels that I tried to cheat him by only wanting to pay the appraised value for the lots, and that I shouldn't think that I was going to get back the $1500 that we already paid toward them. So now my choice is to walk away from the situation completely, let go of all the anger and hurt feelings, and focus on other things. Goodness knows I've got enough going on in my regular life-I don't need this. So, I sent my dad the email. We'll see how things go.

No comments: