Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Kairos time vs. Chronos


I've been having a hard time lately getting myself into a creative head space, particularly for my writing time. I spend most of my time these days in Chronos time, changing diapers, keeping the house clean, running errands, etc. I'm trying to look for ways to bring myself into Kairos time, because without it writing is impossible for me. Today on my morning trip to the dog park I tried to hold onto that state of kairos time from sleep, and let my mind drift in the space where my story lives. It was a misty morning today, and somehow the "mistery" of the mist (sorry ;) helped me to retain my state of kairos time. It wasn't effortless, but I think things will improve with some mindfulness. I think if I use my morning walks with Hank to meditate on my story, I will be more able to write. We'll see how it goes.

4 comments:

Alva Baptist Church said...

do you know the nae of this image or it's author?

There is a deep spiritual aspect to this juxtaposition.

I also stumbled accross some physics applications of these contrasted concepts.

Congratulations from Alva, Scotland on your growing family. We are praying for you! :)

pun pardoned ;)
RevRunD

Allison said...

This image came from the Wikipedia page on kairos. According to the site, the image is by Francesco Salviati, although I don't know the name of the painting. Cronos vs Kairos time is a concept I've been working with since my college days 20 years ago, and it did come up particularly during my recent graduate studies in mythology. The first place I can remember reading about in the works of Madeleine L'Engle, a Christian writer-do you know her work? Thanks for the congrats :).

Anonymous said...

hey all

I just thought it would be good to introduce myself to everyone!

Can't wait to start some good conversations!

-Marshall

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

hey


great forum lots of lovely people just what i need


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.